Road Trip Health Tips: How to Make Your Family Road Trip Healthy & Fun by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Nothing says summer like piling into the family mobile and hitting the open road. This year, 100 million Americans will take a vacation, and nearly half will take a road trip. If you’re planning your next adventure, keep these six important health tips in mind:
- Know your limits. Car rides go from fun adventure to pure torture when you push the limit, so plan your route based on what your family can handle.
- Stop to stretch. Skip the cement rest stops and use an app like Kaboom to find parks and playgrounds along your route to get the wiggles out.
- Drink plenty of water. Don’t let a fear of bathroom stops keep your family from staying hydrated on the road.
- Pack healthy snacks. Whether fending off boredom or saving your family from fast food, healthy snacks like dried fruits and nuts can keep you going on the open road.
- Be prepared. Always travel with a first aid kit, ice packs, bandages, a thermometer and pain/fever reducing medicine.
- Know when to call in the experts. It’s easy to want to press on, but some ailments are better treated ASAP. Nurse practitioners staff retail clinics and urgent care facilities along your route and can have you back on the road in no time. (Visit WeChooseNPS.org to learn more about nurse practitioners.)
Road trips can be inexpensive and fun if you do them right. Pack for good health – don’t let amateur mistakes ruin your family fun!
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire ... and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Road Trip Travel Guides $4 & Up
Reusable Water Bottles $6 & Up
Healthy Snacks $3 & Up
Dried Fruit $4 & Up
Nuts $4 & Up
First Aid Kits $6 & Up
Ice Packs $5 & Up
Bandages $3 & Up
Thermometer $5 & Up
Pain Reliever $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.