How to Keep Your Kidneys Healthy: The 5 Golden Rules of Good Kidney Health by Joyce Knestrick, CRNP, FAANP
One in three Americans is at risk for developing kidney disease, but genetics isn’t the only deciding factor. Your kidneys have many important jobs, including:
- eliminating excess waste and fluid
- controlling blood pressure
- producing red blood cells
So it’s important to protect them. Here are the five golden rules for good kidney health:
- Avoid Diabetes: It’s the biggest cause of kidney disease, but it’s also largely avoidable if you eat healthy, exercise, lose extra weight and quit smoking.
- Keep Blood Pressure in Check: High blood pressure is the second leading cause of kidney disease, so get tested to be sure you don’t have it.
- Control Intake: Most health risks can be minimized by eating healthy, avoiding smoking and limiting alcohol intake, and kidney disease is no different.
- Get Regular Checkups: Kidney damage can be detected during a visit with your primary care provider.
About 30 million Americans have kidney damage, and 96 percent don’t know they have it. Practicing the golden rules for good kidney health can save your life!
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Books About Kidney Health $4 & Up
Kidney Supplements $8 & Up
Blood Pressure Monitors $15 & Up
Exercise Equipment $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.