Nurse Practitioner Primary Care Provider: How It Can Save You a Lot of Headaches This School Year! by Joyce Knestrick, CRNP, FAANP
When it comes to keeping a busy household functioning during the school year, parents have a lot to juggle. Even when things are running smoothly, one sick child can send an entire family into a tailspin, especially if you don’t have a primary care provider. Here are five reasons why a nurse practitioner (NP) can make your life a lot easier:
- You need to see someone, fast. An ear infection or strep throat demands quick attention, but not an emergency room.
- New patient appointments are hard to get. Some practices have wait times as long as 24 days for a physician, but NPs are far more accessible
- You waste time getting new providers up to speed. It’s exhausting going through your family history at every appointment.
- You don’t have a connection with providers. Your kids don’t feel comfortable sharing things with people they don’t know.
- There’s no continuity of care. Subtle changes since the last appointment go unnoticed because the same person isn’t doing the exam.
Having a trusted primary care provider can help keep your family healthy and sane, and NPs are smart choice for parents on the go!