Most People Have No Idea They Have Diabetes: 5 Things You Need to Know! by Cindy Cooke, DNP, FNP-C, FAANP
Think you don’t have diabetes? Think again. Half of American adults have some form of the condition, but most have no idea. Don’t let a lack of symptoms throw you off. Here are five reasons to get checked ASAP:
- One in 10 adults has diabetes. Of the 30 million people with diabetes, roughly seven million of them have no idea they have it.
- One in three adults has prediabetes. About 84 million have elevated blood sugar levels – a precursor to diabetes – and more than 75 million of them have no clue.
- Diabetes threatens your long-term health. People with diabetes suffer from heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness and nerve damage.
- Diabetes is largely preventable. People at risk for diabetes who eat better and exercise can reduce their risk of developing diabetes by as much as 60 percent.
- Diabetes is manageable. Managed diabetes can drastically reduce the risk of dangerous complications. It’s unmanaged diabetes that is the biggest threat of all.
If you haven’t had your blood sugar tested, make an appointment today. Don’t let this dangerous, preventable condition wreak havoc on your health!
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal health care provider.