A Good Night's Sleep: 6 Steps to Great Sleep for Your Whole Family! by Rebecca Kempton
10 months ago
As a certified pediatric sleep specialist, here are my top tips to help your family get a great night's sleep!
- Commit two weeks. Once you make your child’s sleep a priority, clear your calendar so you can focus on the task with consistency.
- Stay confident. The research shows that babies can pick up on your anxieties even when they are as little as 4 to 6 months, which can affect their sleep.
- Limit wake time. Keep the periods of wakefulness to under one hour for a newborn and one to two hours from 4 to 6 months.
- Be consistent. A predictable 15-minute routine prior to every sleep period is an essential cue so your child learns what comes next – sleep.
- Set the mood. Make the room pitch black – darkness helps the release of melatonin. Use white noise and keep it cool (68 to 72 degrees F).
- Put children in bed awake. This will help your child learn to fall asleep without needing your help.