5 Things You Need to Know About Zika Virus Symptoms & Diagnosis by Donna John
11 months ago
The Zika virus has been back in the news. ASU Biodesign Institute professor and viral expert Qiang “Shawn” Chen shared the following information on the virus:
- The virus is usually relatively mild and requires no specific treatment.
- People infected with it typically develop mild fever and have mild flu-like symptoms.
- Though you should always consult your doctor if you’re concerned, experts say in general people with Zika virus should get plenty of rest, drink enough fluids and treat pain and fever.
- Zika is diagnosed through a test called PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and isolation of the virus from blood samples.
- Diagnosis by a blood test can be difficult as the virus can cross-react with other flaviviruses such as dengue, West Nile and yellow fever.
Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions or concerns.