Famous Crab Cakes Recipe: This Moist Lump Crab Cake Deserves a Trophy by Donna John
My mom loves crab cakes. I love crab cakes, too, but you should see my mom's face light up when she finds a good crab cake at a restaurant. Finding a great crab cake recipe become my obsession.
This lump crab cake recipe results in what could be an award-winning crab cake, in my opinion. There's nothing crazy in this crab cake recipe. Just a few simple ingredients: mayonnaise, an egg, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, fresh lump crabmeat and crushed saltines. The mixture is ever-so-gently mixed together to keep the crabmeat from falling apart and pan-fried in butter or oil. While you may feel the urge to sprinkle in some Old Bay seasoning, don't. Over spicing the crab cake will mask the fresh crab flavor.
Tartar sauce is a must with these crab cakes. Try one of these easy tartar sauce recipes (even Snoop Dogg has a tartar sauce recipe!). If you really want some Old Bay flavor in your crab cake, try this Old Bay crab cake sauce recipe. Serve these easy pan-fried crab cakes with your favorite side dishes. You are welcome, Mom.
Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 1 hour to chill
Cook Time: 6 to 8 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 13 minutes
Servings: Makes 8 crab cakes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat (can use canned crabmeat in a pinch)
- 1 cup Saltines, crushed (about 20 crackers)
- butter or oil, for cooking
Here's how to make it:
- Stir the mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce together in a mixing bowl.
- Gently fold in the crabmeat.
- Gently stir in the crackers. Let the mixture sit for about 3 minutes.
- Shape into eight loose patties. Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- When ready to cook, heat the butter or oil in a skillet. Cook the crab cakes for about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel. (You could also broil the crab cakes, turning once, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.)
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.