Cheesy Chicken Tamale Casserole Recipe: An Insanely Delicious Mexican Casserole by 30Seconds Food
Casserole recipes are usually a good bet when planning family dinners. If you enjoy a good taco casserole or chicken casserole, you're going to love this easy chicken tamale casserole recipe! The simple casserole uses pantry ingredients, has minimal prep and bakes up in 30 minutes.
The tamale base of this casserole is basically a flavorful cornbread made with cream-style-corn, corn muffin mix, chopped green chiles, sour cream, an egg, ground cumin and cheese. After the tamale part of the casserole bakes, it is topped with shredded cooked chicken, enchilada sauce (you can use red or green enchilada sauce) and more cheese. Everything bakes together and creates a drool-worthy Mexican casserole.
Serve the cheesy chicken tamale casserole with toppings like sliced avocado, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, fresh cilantro, sour cream, pico de gallo or fresh jalapenos. This could be a complete meal, but if you have time, make some homemade refried beans, Spanish rice or cilantro lime rice. Ole!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 can (14 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 box (8 ounces) corn muffin mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (or to taste)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (divided)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (you can use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 can (10 ounces) red or green enchilada sauce
Here's how to make it:
- Whisk together the cream-style corn, corn muffin mix, chopped green chiles, sour cream, egg, cumin and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Spread the mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish or casserole dish. Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven, and take the end of a wooden spoon and make indentions all over the top.
- In a bowl, stir together the chicken and enchilada sauce. Spread the mixture over the cornbread. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cream-style Corn $1 & Up
Corn Muffin Mix $2 & Up
Chopped Green Chiles $2 & Up
Red Enchilada Sauce $2 & Up
Green Enchilada Sauce $2 & Up
Ground Cumin $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.