The Absolute Best Macaroni & Cheese Recipe for Thanksgiving Day by Donna John
Southern Living magazine is one of my favorites. I love so many of their downhome southern recipes, like this amazing macaroni and cheese recipe. What makes this mac and cheese so special is shredded and diced cheese, yellow and white cheese and a sauce made with milk and heavy cream. It is so good.
This baked macaroni and cheese recipe is the perfect holiday side dish at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's also great on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 16 ounces large elbow macaroni (or your favorite short pasta), cooked to al dente
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- dash of ground nutmeg
- dash of cayenne
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup diced sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup diced white cheddar cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, dry mustard, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of the shredded white and yellow cheddar cheeses until melted. Add the cooked pasta and diced cheeses. Stir well and pour into a greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until golden, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese and continue to bake until melted.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Dishes $8 & Up
Dry Mustard $3 & Up
Worcestershire Sauce $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.