Easy Baked Pumpkin Donuts Recipe: How I Surprised My Husband With the “Best Doughnuts Ever” by Elisa Schmitz, 30Seconds
My husband is a fan of fried donuts. Before the pandemic, he’d look forward to having a chocolate frosted donut for breakfast at the office every Friday morning. Because he was missing his chocolate donut habit, I decided to make him some donuts at home. I decided not to tell him I was making gluten-free baked donuts, to see if he could tell the difference!
To simplify, and because it’s so good (especially this time of year), I used Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread & Muffin Baking Mix as my starting point. Then I made my own cinnamon sugar topping and semisweet chocolate glaze. His reaction? “These are the best doughnuts I’ve ever had! Which bakery did you go to?” Tee-hee!
Now that he knows I can make these amazing donuts at home, there’s no need to go to the bakery for those yummy breakfast or dessert treats. But I’ll be the one heading to the kitchen in the early morning hours mumbling, “Time to make the doughnuts…”
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Servings: Makes 12 donuts
- 1 box (17.5 ounces) Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread & Muffin Baking Mix (or your favorite bread or muffin baking mix prepared according to package directions)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil (I used canola oil)
- 2 large eggs
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large bowl, combine baking mix, water, oil and eggs. Stir to combine until smooth. Spoon batter into donut pans that you’ve sprayed with cooking spray. Each donut ring should be nearly full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then gently loosen to remove.
- While donuts are cooling, prepare the cinnamon sugar topping by blending the sugars and cinnamon. Put the cinnamon sugar on a plate. Melt the butter in the microwave.
- When ready, brush each donut with melted butter, then dip the donut in the brown sugar mixture.
- To make chocolate glazed donuts, try my easy chocolate glaze recipe. So easy and delicious!
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Donut Pans $10 & Up
Muffin Mixes $2 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $2 & Up
Canola $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.