Queen Elizabeth's Pancake Recipe: The Royal Pancake Recipe That Went Viral by 30Seconds Food
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth, the interest in royal recipes has been ignited. Queen Elizabeth's pancake recipe went viral and is probably being made in kitchens around the world for breakfast and brunch now.
The pancake recipe was included in a letter sent by the queen to U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, which is made available in the National Archives. The original letter and recipe was penned in 1960 after Eisenhower and his wife, Mamie, visited with the queen at her castle in Balmoral.
In the letter, Queen Elizabeth wrote “when there are fewer, I generally put in less flour and milk but use other ingredients as stated. I have also tried using golden syrup or treacle instead of only sugar, and that can be very good, too.” She also advised that “the mixture needs a great deal of beating while making and shouldn’t stand about too long before cooking.”
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 4 teacups flour (see note)
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teacups milk (see note)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Here's how to make it:
- Beat the eggs, sugar and about half of the milk together in a bowl.
- Add the flour and mix well. Add the remainder of the milk, as required, along with the baking soda, cream of tartar and butter.
- Cook the pancakes in a skillet as you would your regular pancake batter.
Note: A “teacup” is just under 3/4 cups.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cream of Tartar $3 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.