Queen Elizabeth's Favorite English Tea Scones Recipe From Her Former Royal Chef by Donna John
While the world mourns the death of Queen Elizabeth ll, we'd like to honor and celebrate her by sharing some of her favorite recipes. This is a recipe for Queen Elizabeth's favorite scones from her former Royal Chef Darren McGrady.
Serve these tea scones with lots of butter, unless you want to eat them like the Queen did. She enjoyed her scones with jam and clotted cream. But according to Chef McGrady, there's a huge debate on whether the clotted cream or jam goes on first. He says the answer depends on what part of the world you live in, but the Queen liked hers with jam first. But you decide.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Servings: Makes about 16
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (450 grams)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) soft butter (113 grams)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 - 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup raisins (if making fruit scones)
- 1 egg yolk, for glazing
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and about 3/4 cups of the milk. With a metal spoon, bring the mixture together (do not overmix or it will tighten the dough). If it's too dry, add a little more milk gradually. (You don't want the dough too dry or too set that it sticks to the rolling pin.)
- Lightly flour a work surface. Roll the dough to about 1-inch thick. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut the scones out and place them on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Brush the tops with the beaten egg yolk.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
All-Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Raisins $3 & Up
Round Cookie Cutters $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.