5-Ingredient Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe: Perfect for Beginners by 30Seconds Food
Light and fluffy, a sponge cake is usually made with egg whites, flour and sugar. This chocolate sponge cake recipe is made by beating the whole eggs together, which makes it easier for beginning bakers.
This sponge cake recipe is made in a 6-inch round cake pan. If your cake pan is larger, your cake will not be as tall. You will need to reduce the baking time. Serve this five-ingredient sponge cake as dessert or a sweet snack.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 4 eggs
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cake flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Here's how to make it:
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs and the granulated sugar together until it's light and foamy. Add the vanilla and continue to beat.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the egg mixture. Using a whisk, gently stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a 6-inch round cake pan that's been lined with parchment paper. Drop the cake onto the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated 320-degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until the top is set. Remove and let it cool completely before removing from the pan.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
6-inch Round Cake Pans $10 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Cocoa Powder $3 & Up
All Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Cake Flour $3 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Electric Mixers $12 & Up
Whisks $5 & Up
Sifters $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.