6-Ingredient Black Bean Soup Recipe With Chorizo Is Dinner in Under 20 Minutes by Donna John
This fabulous black bean soup recipe is from a six-ingredient magazine from America's Test Kitchen. Who knew six ingredients could be so delicious? Why does this soup recipe work? "Sliced chorizo and garam masala (a mixture of warm spices such as cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cardamom) added flavor and richness without an exhausting amount of prep," writes America's Test Kitchen. "Cooking the chorizo first provided rendered fat that we could use to bloom the garam masala and deepen its flavor, making for a speedy soup with surprising intensity."
Agreed! This six-ingredient black bean soup recipe has intense flavor and is a satisfying dinner. I used ground Mexican chorizo because that's what I had on hand. Mexican chorizo vs. the links has more fat, so you may need to remove a bit from the pan if there's too much. I had really lean chorizo (made by a local meat market), so didn't have that issue. I topped mine with fresh sliced red jalapeno, more fresh cilantro and a dab of sour cream. Next time I hope I have an avocado that's ripe to join the party.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 8 ounces link chorizo sausage, sliced (I used ground Mexican chorizo sausage)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 cans (14 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky salsa (I used Herdez Salsa Casera)
- chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the chorizo in a soup pot until cooked through and browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add the garam masala to the pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the beans, chicken broth and salsa. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook about 10 minutes.
- Using a large spoon or potato masher, mash some of the beans to thicken the soup and make it creamy. (I mashed about half the beans.)
- Stir in the fresh chopped cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and top with desired toppings.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Potato Mashers $5 & Up
Black Beans $1 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Garam Masala $4 & Up
Salsa $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.