My Favorite Creamy Potato Salad Recipe (Courtesy of Ina Garten) by Donna John
The Barefoot Contessa's potato salad side dish recipe doesn't get all its creaminess from mayonnaise like most do, but from buttermilk, too. Fresh dill adds a brightness to this salad that just tastes like summer. Because it is how my grandma made it, I will sometimes throw in some chopped hard-boiled eggs.
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus time to chill
Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes plus time to chill
- 3 pounds small white potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman's Real Mayonnaise)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (divided)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
Here's how to make it:
- Boil the potatoes in salted water about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and return to the pot. Cover with a lid or kitchen towel and let them steam while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, dill, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Whisk to combine.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel (if desired) and slice in half or quarters (depending on how big they are). Put the potatoes into a bowl.
- Pour the dressing over and toss to coat.
- Add the celery, onion, 2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste) and 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste). Toss well. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to a few hours before serving.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.