Blackened Chilean Sea Bass Recipe: This Easy Blackened Fish Recipe Is Healthy & Flavorful by Sarah Amona
A homemade blackening seasoning blend is sprinkled on sea bass fillets then blackened in a cast iron skillet. So delicious! This easy fish recipe is packed with flavor and a healthy choice for dinner or lunch.
You won't need all of the blackening seasoning for this seafood recipe, so keep the leftovers in an airtight container to use later. Serve this blackened sea bass recipe with a fresh salad. If you can't find Chilean sea bass, grouper, red snapper or mahi mahi are good substitutes.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 5 to 7 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 47 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
Seasoning (Makes enough for two recipes)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 Chilean sea bass filets
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (divided)
Here's how to make it:
- In a small bowl mix together spices. Set aside.
- Place the fish in a shallow bowl and add milk to cover. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large cast iron frying pan over high heat for 10 minutes, or until extremely hot. (Put your exhaust fan on or grill outside, if you can. You can put your cast iron skillet directly on the grill.)
- Remove fish fillets from the milk and drain off excess. Dip fish into melted butter and sprinkle each filet generously with the seasoning mixture. (Do not use all seasoning!! Just to your taste.)
- Place the fish fillets in the hot frying pan. Pour 1/2 tablespoon of the butter over each fillet. Cook until the coating on the underside of the fillet turns black, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the fish over. Pour another 1/2 tablespoon of butter over the fish and cook for 2 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Note: I use 1/4 of the blackening seasoning and keep the rest in a container for later.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cast Iron Skillets $15 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Ground Cayenne $2 & Up
Sea Salt $2 & Up
Onion Powder $3 & Up
Garlic Powder $2 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Unsweetened Almond Milk $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.