Everything Muffins Recipe: The Delicious Baked Equivalent of “Refrigerator Soup” in Oat Bran Muffin Form by Melissa Vickers
Have you ever made refrigerator soup? It’s a great way to use tiny bits of leftovers and put them into a soup pot to make a one-of-a-kind, never-to-be-repeated soup recipe. These muffins are kind of like that.
I started with a muffin recipe on the back of a box of oat bran, and then just started dumping in other ingredients, thinking, “I wonder if these will taste good together?” This is an easy muffin recipe that easily adapts to whatever you have on hand, and whatever your taste buds whisper to you to dump in. It also defies exact measurements for some of the ingredients, hence “handful” of this or that. Give it try! What will you add in yours?
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 12 large muffins
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I use less or none at all)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups oat bran (can use uncooked oatmeal instead, either ground in the food processor or just as is)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 - 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- “splash” of vanilla
- 4 tablespoons oil (I don’t usually put this in if I have enough bananas)
- a little milk, soy milk, water or apple juice, as needed
Everything Else (Pick and Choose!)
- handful of dried cranberries or raisins
- handful of flaked coconut
- handful of butterscotch chips
- handful of chocolate chips
- handful of chopped nuts (I don’t usually add these)
- cinnamon-sugar mix
Here’s how to make it:
- In large bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- In separate bowl, mash bananas, eggs and oil (if you use it) together.
- Mix dried cranberries and coconut into banana mixture.
- Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix.
- Fold in butterscotch, chocolate chips and nuts. If it seems too dry, pour in a little liquid (milk, soy milk, water, apple juice).
- Spoon into greased muffin tins. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon/sugar mix.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for 15 minutes or so.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Whole Wheat Flour $3 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Oat Bran $4 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Dried Cranberries $3 & Up
Butterscotch Chips $2 & Up
Flaked Coconut $3 & Up
Chocolate Chips $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Chopped Nuts $3 & Up
Raisins $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Cinnamon Sugar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.