Nanaimo Bars Recipe: This Easy No-Bake Layered Dessert Recipe Is a Sweet Gift From Canada by 30Seconds Food
A Nanaimo bar is a layered dessert recipe named after the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. The Canadian no-bake recipe has three delicious layers: a chocolate crust, creamy filling and chocolate glaze. Surprise your family by making this easy Nanaimo bar recipe. (They would also make great gifts!)
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus time to chill
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes plus time to chill
Servings: 12 to 15 bars
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
Here's how to make it:
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. The parchment should extend at least 1 inch over the sides.
- In a saucepot, add the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Cook over low heat until butter melts.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Take about 1/4 cup of the butter mixture and stir it into the eggs to temper them. Whisk the mixture into the saucepot and cook until it reaches 160 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, coconut and almonds, if using. Press the mixture into the baking pan. Refrigerate while you make the filling and glaze.
- To make the filling, beat the powdered sugar, pudding mix, butter and milk together until smooth.
- To make the glaze, put the chocolate and butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Spread the filling over the cold crust, then top with the glaze. Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour, then cut into bars.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
8x8-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Cocoa Powder $2 & Up
Sweetened Coconut $2 & Up
Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix $2 & Up
Almonds $4 & Up
Semisweet Chocolate $3 & Up
Graham Cracker Crumbs $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Powdered Sugar $2 & Up
Candy Thermometers $7 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.