Turmeric Sauerkraut Recipe: This Small-Batch Sauerkraut Recipe Is Easy, Healthy & Tasty by 30Seconds Food
We know the health benefits of turmeric and ginger, and how fermented food helps with gut health, so we've combined the three! This easy turmeric sauerkraut recipe is tasty, healthy, quick to prep and tastes fabulous. Serve as a side dish, put it on hot dogs or in bowls or sandwiches. What's your favorite way to use sauerkraut?
Cuisine: German/Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 4 to 5 days to ferment
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes plus 4 to 5 days to ferment
Servings: Makes about 2 cups
- 1/2 a cabbage (about 1 pound), shredded fine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup sliced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated or minced fresh turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Here's how to make it:
- Put the shredded cabbage into a bowl. Add the salt. Using your hands, massage the salt into the cabbage.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Mix well. Let the mixture sit for 1 hour.
- Stir the cabbage mixture, then pack it into a mason jar. If your cabbage did not release enough water, add a small amount so it covers the cabbage. Cover the top with a piece of plastic wrap. (You may need to weigh the top down so the cabbage stays covered with liquid.) Put the lid on, but very loosely.
- Let the jar sit for four to five days. When you see bubbling, "burp" the jar to release air. After about five days, stir the sauerkraut and begin to taste until it ferments to your liking. When it's to your liking, move the jar to the refrigerator.
Note: You can eat the cabbage as soon as four to five days, but some like a more intense fermentation and let it go for two to three weeks.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Mason Jars $5 & Up
Ground Turmeric $3 & Up
Fine Sea Salt $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.