Cheesy Black-eyed Pea Casserole Recipe Will Make You a Believer by Donna John
Black-eyed peas can sometimes be boring. But not this baked black-eyed pea recipe! This roasted black-eyed pea casserole recipe has mushrooms, spinach and lots of cheese. It is absolutely delicious and will make you believe in the luck black-eyed peas are said to bring in the new year.
Serve this cheesy black-eyed pea recipe as a side dish with chicken, pork, beef or lamb. The leftovers are great served as a salad over lettuce and drizzled with your favorite salad dressing.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours (approximately)
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 6 strips bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 package (8 ounces) fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots (about 3 large)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed-peas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth (divided)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Tabasco sauce)
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese or Parmesan cheese (I used an Italian blend)
- 2 - 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add the mushrooms and shallots to the bacon fat. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the black-eyed peas, half the chicken broth, bacon and hot sauce. Season with black pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake in preheated 350-degree F oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Add the remaining chicken broth and start stirring in the spinach leaves.
- One the spinach as wilted down, stir in the cheese.
- Bake another 20 to 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times during cooking.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $9 & Up
Black-eyed Peas $2 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Hot Sauce $2 & Up
Tabasco Sauce $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.