A Simply Delicious 30-Minute Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Gumbo is a rich stew-like dish that originated in Louisiana in the 1800s. It always starts with a roux, the holy trinity (celery, bell peppers and onions), stock and then proteins are added, usually sausage, seafood or chicken.
While some gumbos simmer all day, this easy gumbo recipe is ready in about 30 minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces andouille or smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning or Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken chicken
- rice, for serving
- chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt. Whisk in the flour. Constantly whisk until the flour starts to turn golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell peppers and celery. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage, garlic, cayenne, paprika, bay leaf, garlic powder and creole seasoning. Stir and cook about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the okra and gently simmer about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook a few minutes more and then ladle into serving bowls. Serve with rice and garnish with chopped green onions.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Creole Seasoning $3 & Up
Cajun Seasoning $3 & Up
All Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Cayenne Pepper $2 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Garlic Powder $2 & Up
Rice $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.