5-Ingredient Portuguese Sausage & Potato Soup Recipe (Caldo Verde) Is Ready in 30 Minutes by 30Seconds Food
Caldo verde is a traditional Portuguese soup recipe made with just five simple ingredients: onion, sausage, garlic, potatoes and greens. The greens are usually kale or collard greens, but you could use spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens or even swiss chard.
Caldo verde originated from the Minho Province in northern Portugal. Its popularity has spread across the country and also into Brazil, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Now that's quite a spread!
To make this sausage and bean soup more nutritious, add a can of rinsed and rained white to at the very end of the cooking time. Serve this hearty Portuguese green soup recipe with hot bread. You could also add a salad for a complete meal. This caldo verde recipe is a comforting meal any day of the week.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 package (12 to 16 ounces) smoked sausage, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 7 cups water
- 2 bunches kale or collard greens, chopped
- olive oil, for serving and cooking
Here's how to make it:
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes and water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender, remove half of them and the sausage from the pot into a bowl. Using an immersion blender, process the remaining soup until smooth. Put the sausage and potatoes back into the pot.
- Add the greens and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Large Soup Pots $10 & Up
Immersion Blenders $15 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Portuguese Cookbooks $5 & Up
Portuguese Olive Oil $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.