20-Minute Turkey or Chicken a La King Recipe: Creamy, Comforting Goodness by 30Seconds Food
Chicken a la king is traditionally chicken with mushrooms, peas and pimientos in a creamy sauce that's served over toast points. This rich, easy chicken a la king recipe uses leftover chicken (or turkey) and is ready in about 20 minutes.
The easy white sauce is made with butter, fresh mushrooms, onion, flour, milk and garlic powder. So quick and simple to whisk up. Eggs and cream are added to help thicken the sauce before green peas, pimientos and chicken are stirred in. Serve this easy chicken a la king recipe for dinner over toast points, noodles, rice or even biscuits.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup heavy creamy
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (7 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained, or chopped red pepper
- 3 - 4 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, milk and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce begins to thicken, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, combine the egg yolks and cream in a bowl. Whisk well to combine. Temper the mixture by adding about a 1/2 cup of the simmering sauce into the eggs. Stir, then pour the egg mixture into the sauce and continue to cook about 2 more minutes.
- Add the peas, pimientos and chicken. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve over toast points, rice, egg noodles or biscuits.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skillets $10 & Up
Pimientos $2 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Egg Noodles $1 & Up
Rice $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.