Mason Jar Sauerkraut Recipe: This Easy Sauerkraut Recipe Is Good for You & Fun to Make by Gwen Johnson
Sauerkraut is cabbage that goes through a fermentation process to become a tangy condiment. Sauerkraut has many health benefits and is packed with healthy vitamins and minerals. Here's a quick sauerkraut recipe that's made in a mason jar.
Prep Time: 3 days to 3 weeks to ferment
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 3 days to 3 weeks
Servings: Makes 1 quart
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- quart mason jar or other quart container
Here's how to make it:
- Put the cabbage into a large bowl. Add the salt and caraway seeds. Let the mixture sit for about 20 minutes, massaging the cabbage with your hands every so often to help release the juices.
- Pack the mixture into a quart mason jar along with all the released juices. Pack tightly.
- Weigh the cabbage down by placing a clean rock or something heavy on top. Cover the mouth of the jar with cheesecloth or a kitchen towel and tie with twine or string.
- Place the jar out of sunlight to ferment, which can take up from three days to three weeks. Taste the sauerkraut every few days until you get to desired taste. Store the sauerkraut when fermented to your taste in the refrigerator.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
The Farmhouse Culture Guide to Fermenting: Crafting Live-Cultured Foods and Drinks With 100 Recipes From Kimchi to Kombucha $23
Traditionally Fermented Foods: Innovative Recipes and Old-Fashioned Techniques for Sustainable Eating $18
Quart Mason Jars $10 & Up
Cheesecloth $6 & Up
Kitchen Towels $4 & Up
Kosher Salt $3 & Up
Caraway Seeds $5 & Up
Twine $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.