Maultaschen Recipes: This German Maultaschen Dumplings Recipe Has Two Filling Options – Beef or Spinach by 30Seconds Food
Maultaschen, or German filled dumplings, is a traditional dish that originated in Swabia, a region of southwestern Germany. They are basically dumplings with a filling that are boiled. If you like perogies, you need to try this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 egg yolk (save egg white for sealing the dough)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk (save egg white for sealing the dough)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Here's how to make them:
- Combine all the dough ingredients. Knead the dough until it's smooth. Put the dough into a bowl and allow it to rest for 45 minutes. Roll the dough out very thin with a rolling pin or run it through your pasta machine. Cut the dough into 4 by 4-inch squares.
- To make the spinach filling, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onions and garlic and cook about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add a sprinkling of nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste. Turn off the heat and stir in the egg yolk. Cool slightly before using.
- To make the meat filling, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the egg, egg yolk, ground beef and parsley to the pan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until beef is cooked through. Cool slightly before using.
- To make the Maultaschen, add desired filling to the center of each dough square. Brush some egg white along the edges and fold together to seal. Seal edges with a fork. Bring the broth to a boil in a large soup pot. Add the dumplings and cook for 12-15 minutes. Remove the dumplings and fry in a little butter and top with fried onions or serve them in the soup broth (you could also add some vegetables to the broth while cooking the dumplings).
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
German Cookbooks $3 & Up
Germany Travel Guides $6 & Up
Pasta Machines $30 & Up
Rolling Pins $7 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4
Nutmeg $4 & Up
Vegetable Broth $1 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.