This Classic Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe Elevates Ham & Cheese to the Next Level by 30Seconds Food
A Monte Cristo sandwich is basically a ham and cheese sandwich that is pan-fried in butter. What's not to love?
You also could use a little deli turkey breast in place of the ham – or use both! If you want to reduce the carbs, use only two slices of bread per sandwich. Monte Cristo sandwiches are sometimes served with strawberry jelly. Yum!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 6 slices white bread
- Swiss cheese
- deli ham
- yellow mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 - 4 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Spread mayonnaise on two slices of the bread. Top with a slice of cheese and a couple pieces of ham.
- Add the second slice of bread. Top with mustard. Add a couple slices of ham and another slice of cheese. Finish with the third slice of bread on top.
- Press the sandwich gently to flatten a bit. Carefully cut off the crusts (this helps seal the sandwich for frying).
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a bowl. Dip the sandwiches into the mixture to coat.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat. Cook the sandwiches about 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Sandwich Cookbooks $3 & Up
Powdered Sugar $3 & Up
Mayonnaise $2 & Up
Yellow Mustard $1 & Up
White Bread $2 & Up
Strawberry Jelly $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.