Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipe: A Traditional Irish Boiled Dinner Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Here's an easy Irish recipe for a traditional corned beef and cabbage boil many serve for St. Patrick's Day. Some like the spice packet that comes with the corned beef brisket added to the water, some don't. It's your call.
Have leftover corned beef? (Of course you do!) Here are a few ways to use leftover corned beef:
Make a reuban sandwich using rye bread, cheese, sauerkraut, sliced or chopped leftover corned beef and mustard. Serve hot.
Fry some chopped potatoes and make a corned beef hash topped with a fried egg.
Use sliced leftover corned beef on a cold sandwich in place of your regular lunchmeat.
What's your favorite way to eat corned beef brisket?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 3- to 4-pound corned beef brisket with spice packet (spice packet is optional)
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 pound small red potatoes, cut in half or quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into wedges
- prepared horseradish or stone-ground mustard (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the corned beef brisket and contents of spice packet, if using, into a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the bay leaves, if using, and season with black pepper.
- Add enough water to cover the brisket. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until meat is almost tender, about 2 hours.
- Add the carrots, onion and potatoes. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, cover and simmer about 20 minutes more, or until vegetables and meat are tender. Remove bay leaves. Slice meat and serve with the vegetables and prepared horseradish or mustard, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.