Easy Sausage & Corn Chowder Recipe With Charred Corn & Jalapeno by Donna John
Pleasantly surprised was my family's reaction to this corn and sausage chowder recipe. As a soup lover, they tend to get tired of how many times a month that soup is on the menu. But there were no complaints at all after their first taste of this easy creamy sausage and corn chowder.
The soup is made with corn (you can use fresh, frozen or even canned in a pinch), onion, celery, gold potatoes, chicken broth, jalapeno, Italian sausage and cream. For a richer chowder, use heavy cream or half and half; for a lighter chowder use milk or even nut milk.
Serve this quick and easy chowder with hot bread and a salad for lunch or dinner. Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When reheating, add a splash of cream to loosen the chowder. If you don't like jalapenos, try using a poblano or even bell pepper.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 cups corn (divided)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cups butter gold potatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 pound bulk spicy, mild or regular Italian sausage
- 1 cup heavy cream, half and half or milk
Here's how to make it:
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup of the corn and cook, stirring often, until it chars and starts turning golden brown. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the other 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion, celery and jalapeno, and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- While the soup simmers, add the sausage to another skillet. Cook, breaking up into pieces, until cooked through.
- Add the sausage and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of corn to the soup. Stir in the heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper. Heat until warmed through. Serve with charred corn on top and extra chopped jalapeno, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Bowls $6 & Up
Large Soup Pots $15 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.