Candy Cane Cookies: My Childhood Christmas Cookie Recipe Adapted From Betty Crocker by Gigi Gaggero
Candy cane cookies are a holiday must-have! I’m getting back to my roots with the first cookie I think I ever made at 7 years old. Thank you, Betty Crocker!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color or beet powder, if going au natural
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for dusting
Here’s how to make them:
- In a bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer combine the sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, peppermint extract and egg. Whip until combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine.
- Divide dough in half. Stir food color or beet powder into half of the dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Stir together peppermint candy and 2 tablespoon sugar. Set aside.
- For each candy cane, shape 1 rounded teaspoon dough from each color and roll into a 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on floured surface. Place one red and white rope side by side and press together lightly. Twist.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Curve the top of the cookie down to form handle of cane.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for 8-12 minutes, or until set and very light brown. Immediately sprinkle sugar and peppermint candy mixture over cookies while warm. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.