Creamy Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe: A Deliciously Spiced Hot Cocoa Recipe by Donna John
In Mexico, hot chocolate is serious business. The spicy Mexican hot chocolate recipe is served in a hand-made clay hot chocolate server and whipped by hand until frothy with a molinillo. A molinillo is a Mexican wooden whisk that is used to froth hot chocolate. This creamy chocolate goodness will warm you up on these cold winter days.
Milk is warmed in a pot over low heat before chopped semisweet chocolate, granulated sugar and cinnamon are stirred in. The creamy chocolate mixture gently simmers on the stovetop for about 20 minutes. The heat is turned off and vanilla extract and almond extract are stirred in. But that's not the end! The creamy homemade Mexican hot chocolate is made frothy with a molinillo or an electric mixer. (Be careful, it is hot!)
Serve this spiced hot cocoa with whipped cream, marshmallows or as-is so you can really appreciate all the spices. This hot chocolate recipe can easily be doubled or even triples for large families or get-togethers.
- 4 cups milk
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 drops almond extract
- whipped cream or marshmallows, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Put the milk into a pot over low heat. Add the chocolate, sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, about 20 minutes, or until chocolate melts completely.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extract.
- With an electric mixer or molinillo, beat the hot chocolate (carefully!) until frothy. Serve with whipped cream or marshmallows, if desired. Makes about 4 mugs.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.