Easy Cabbage Recipe: Southern "Fried" Cabbage Recipe With Bacon & Onions Is South in Your Mouth by Donna John
Think cabbage is boring and bland? Well, then you haven’t tried southern “fried” cabbage loaded with bacon and onions. This easy recipe will make a cabbage lover out of you. Want to make it vegetarian? Simply leave out the bacon and sauté the onions in a little butter.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 head cabbage, core removed and cut in strips or chopped
- 3 - 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- butter (optional)
Here’s how you make it:
- Cook the bacon in a large pot until crispy. Add the onion and cook a few minutes to soften.
- Add the cabbage and about 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage is very soft, about 30 minutes, stirring often. Add a little more water if it all cooks out before the cabbage is done.
- When cabbage soft, uncover and cook until all the water has cooked out.
- Throw in a couple tablespoons or so of butter and Tabasco sauce right at the end, if using. (I put lots of Tabasco in mine, especially if I leave out the bacon.) Re-season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skillets $10 & Up
Tabasco Sauce $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.