Don’t Buy Granola Bars Anymore! Make Oatmeal Fruit Cookie Bars! by Kathy Widenhouse
7 months ago
Quick? Healthy? Yep. Use ingredients already in your pantry to make these oatmeal fruit cookie bars!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups oatmeal (either rolled oats or quick oats)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried fruit, any combination (raisins, dried cranberries, apricots, dates, plums, apples, etc.)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
Here’s how to make them:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Use aluminum foil or parchment paper to line a 13x9-inch baking pan and coat with vegetable spray. Set the pan aside.
- In a bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, cream together butter, honey, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda and oats. Stir until well-mixed. The mixture will form large, soft clumps.
- Stir in dried fruit and nuts.
- Press mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 18-20 until edges begin to turn brown. Remove the pan from oven. Use a small loaf pan or other smooth-bottomed dish to press the bars flat.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely. Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut into 6 rows of 4 or any size you wish.
- Store the bar cookies in a sealed container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also freeze them to serve later.
Learn more about this recipe here!