Don’t Buy Granola Bars Anymore! Make Oatmeal Fruit Cookie Bars! by Kathy Widenhouse
11 months ago
Quick? Healthy? Yep. Use ingredients already in your pantry to make these oatmeal fruit cookie bars!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups oatmeal (either rolled oats or quick oats)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried fruit, any combination (raisins, dried cranberries, apricots, dates, plums, apples, etc.)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
Here’s how to make them:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Use aluminum foil or parchment paper to line a 13x9-inch baking pan and coat with vegetable spray. Set the pan aside.
- In a bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, cream together butter, honey, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda and oats. Stir until well-mixed. The mixture will form large, soft clumps.
- Stir in dried fruit and nuts.
- Press mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 18-20 until edges begin to turn brown. Remove the pan from oven. Use a small loaf pan or other smooth-bottomed dish to press the bars flat.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely. Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut into 6 rows of 4 or any size you wish.
- Store the bar cookies in a sealed container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also freeze them to serve later.
Learn more about this recipe here!