How to Make a Sinfully Sweet Bourbon Butterscotch Sauce! by Gigi Gaggero
Perfect on top of ice cream, brownies, with fruit – and it's the shining star of my brioche bread pudding. Makes a great gift, too!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, cut open and scraped of seeds
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup organic corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
Here’s how you make it:
- In a very small saucepan, heat the cream with the vanilla bean and the pod. Bring to a simmer for 1-2 minutes. Allow to cool. Set aside.
- In a large, high-sided, heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt together and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Let the mixture simmer for about 5-8 minutes, or until it’s reached a maple-syrup-type consistency. Remove from heat, whisk the heavy cream into the sugar mixture and discard the vanilla bean pod.
- Add bourbon and stir until smooth. (The mixture will bubble up after adding the cream, so take special precaution not to let it bubble over.)
The sauce can be made up to three days ahead. Allow to cool completely and store refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use. Reheat before serving.
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.