Leftover Ham Recipe Ideas: This Creamy Ham, White Bean & Tortellini Chowder Recipe Satisfies the Soul by Donna John
Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off from trying this chowder recipe. It's really quick and easy to make – and a great way to use up leftover ham.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 - 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 box (48 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1/2 of a 1-pound bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups half and half
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 more minute. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add all but 1/2 a cup of the chicken broth to the pot. Stir the cornstarch into the 1/2 cup of broth and add to pot (this prevents lumps). Add beans, ham, mustard, bay leaves, bouillon and herbs/spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook about 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook about 3 minutes, or until al dente. Add half-and-half and warm through. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Omit the tortellini and add another can of white beans.
- Omit the beans and add the entire bag of frozen tortellini.
- Add cubed red potatoes when you cook the onions, celery and carrots instead of the tortellini.
- Use leftover chicken instead of ham.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Olive Oil $5 & Up
Chicken Broth $2 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Cannelli Beans $1 & Up
Dijon Mustard $2 & Up
Chicken Bouillon Granules $2 & Up
Dried Parsley $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Ground Cumin $2 & Up
Red Pepper Flakes $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.