Southwestern Tex-Mex Tamale Pie Recipe Is Loaded With Texas Attitude by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 - 5 cups cooked turkey or chicken, shredded in large chunks
- 2 cups of your favorite fresh or prepared salsa
- 2 cups of your favorite enchilada sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated medium
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream
- sliced black olives
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, large dice
- 1 - 2 jalapeño or Serrano chilies, sliced
- crumbled Mexican cheese
Here’s how you make it:
- Prepare a 13x9-inch ovenproof baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (or a large cast iron pan). Set aside.
- If using the cast iron pan, prepare everything on the stove and transfer to the oven later. If not, use a medium saucepan over medium heat and warm the cooked turkey or chicken with the salsa, enchilada sauce, beans, onions, 1/2 cup stock, chili powder and cumin. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and fold in the scallions and sliced black olives. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized saucepan, combine the cornmeal with the chicken or turkey broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring, until very thick, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese and the butter. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cornmeal mixture over the filling and bake at 400 degrees F until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Serve warm with a platter full of delicious garnishes, to taste.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.