Chicken Tortilla Soup: How to Slow Cook Your Way to a Satisfying Meal! by Erica Kane
Who doesn't love chicken tortilla soup? With this recipe, you toss a few ingredients in your slow cooker and about three hours later you have a hearty, warm and family-pleasing meal!
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced green chiles
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 8 - 9 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Vulcan salt (purchased at specialty stores)
- salt and pepper
- garnishes: diced avocado, cilantro, shredded cheddar, sliced limes
Here’s how to make it:
- Place chicken thighs at the bottom of a slow cooker. It's OK to overlap them.
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, diced chiles, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, Vulcan salt, salt and pepper on top of chicken. Mix together.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Add corn tortillas to soup before you begin shredding to integrate it. Serve with garnishes.
As the name implies, expect a tongue burn, maybe a little eye watering! What you may not expect is the rich depth of flavor that this blend offers; it has influences from Caribbean and eastern Central American recipes, though it doesn't fall into any ethnic or regional tradition.