How to Make Bread & Butter Pickles Like Grandma Made! by Donna John
My grandma’s pickles are a fond childhood memory of mine. She had the idea of adding the cauliflower – and it’s my favorite part of these sweet pickles. I make them at least once a month and have to share with friends and family (had two requests for more this weekend). Give ‘em a try!
- 5 - 6 medium cucumbers, sliced
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets (optional)
Here's how you make it:
- Put the sliced cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Let it sit for about 1 hour. Drain off as much water as you can.
- In a large pot, add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put into sterilized jars or plastic containers.
- Let them cool and then store in the refrigerator. Wait at least 24 hours before eating them (if you can!).