Meet Sherry! 5 Facts About Sherry That Most People Don't Know! by Rachel Portell
Let’s dispel the misguided belief that sherry is a sweet, sticky wine better suited for generations far beyond our own. I hope these five quick facts will encourage you to go out and revel in the deliciousness of quality sherry!
- Most fine sherries are bone dry!
- Dry sherry styles are determined by the way the wine is aged: under flor (no oxygen) – fino and manzanilla (light, complex); in contact with oxygen – oloroso (dark, full bodied); hybrid – amontillado and palo cortado (intermediate).
- True sherry can only come from on location, Andalucía in southern Spain.
- Sherry is meant for food! Enjoy sherry with salty snacks, seafood, white and cured meats or cheeses.
- Serve finos and manzanillas chilled.
And enjoy your sherry in a white wine glass!