How to Make Broccoli Cheese Bombs (Kids Will Eat These Up) by Gigi Gaggero
First came mashed potato bombs, and now meet broccoli cheese bombs! Kids love these!
- 2 cups steamed broccoli, crowns only
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 of a yellow onion
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, leaves only
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
Here’s how you make them:
- In a food processor, combine the broccoli, onion, parsley and garlic. Pulse the broccoli mixture very fine.
- In a bowl or gallon-sized food storage bag add the processed broccoli mixture with all of the remaining ingredients. Mix well with a gloved or slightly wet hands to combine like you would making a meatloaf or meatballs.
- Scoop mixture into the palm of your slightly wet hand. Roll the mixture into a ball. Once a ball has formed, begin pressing down on the top and bottom of the ball with your thumbs while pressing in on the sides with your other hand, rotating into a cylinder-like “tot” shape. Semi-freeze for 20-30 minutes to hold shape prior to oven time. You can also leave them in round ball shape and flatten out into discs.
- Place onto a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spray the tops of the tots with an additional bit of canola oil spray and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Turn the tots and bake an additional 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and warmed through.