How to Make Lebkuchen Gewürz (the Ultimate German Christmas Spice Blend)! by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Not sure what Lebkuchen Gewürz is? It’s a gingerbread spice blend with an exceptionally beautiful depth and complexity of flavor. And it’s an essential ingredient for a variety of German baked goods during the Christmas season, most notably Lebkuchen. I use this blend in all my pumpkin and apple pie recipes, especially in my gingerbread recipes. Sprinkle it on pumpkin coffees, spiked whipped creams, sweet potatoes and fruit cakes!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground green cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Here’s how you make it:
- Combine all spices.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Use within one week. Yields 4 tablespoons.
Want to use whole spices and grind yourself? Here's how to convert them:
- cinnamon – 1 3-inch stick = 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- allspice – 6 whole allspice berries = 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground
- coriander – 1 teaspoon coriander seeds = 1 1/4 teaspoon ground
- green cardamom – approximately 12 pods, dehusked = 1 teaspoon ground
- ginger – 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root = 1/4 teaspoon ground
- star anise – 1 whole star anise = 1/2 teaspoon ground
- mace – 1/4 ounce of whole mace = 1 tablespoon ground
- nutmeg – 1 nutmeg = 2 teaspoons ground