How to Make Lebkuchen Gewürz (the Ultimate German Christmas Spice Blend)! by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
Not sure what Lebkuchen Gewürz is? It’s a gingerbread spice blend with an exceptionally beautiful depth and complexity of flavor. And it’s an essential ingredient for a variety of German baked goods during the Christmas season, most notably Lebkuchen. I use this blend in all my pumpkin and apple pie recipes, especially in my gingerbread recipes. Sprinkle it on pumpkin coffees, spiked whipped creams, sweet potatoes and fruit cakes!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground green cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Here’s how you make it:
- Combine all spices.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Use within one week. Yields 4 tablespoons.
Want to use whole spices and grind yourself? Here's how to convert them:
- cinnamon – 1 3-inch stick = 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- allspice – 6 whole allspice berries = 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground
- coriander – 1 teaspoon coriander seeds = 1 1/4 teaspoon ground
- green cardamom – approximately 12 pods, dehusked = 1 teaspoon ground
- ginger – 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root = 1/4 teaspoon ground
- star anise – 1 whole star anise = 1/2 teaspoon ground
- mace – 1/4 ounce of whole mace = 1 tablespoon ground
- nutmeg – 1 nutmeg = 2 teaspoons ground
Star Anise $8
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.