How to Make Butternut Squash Penne Pasta With Brown Butter! by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Our 30Seconds Resident Chef
Want to use that winter squash? Try these easy recipe for butternut squash penne pasta!
- 1 long neck butternut squash (2 - 2 1/2 pounds)
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch fresh sage leaves, washed and stemmed
- 4 large fresh sage leaves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated (plus additional for serving)
Here’s how you make it:
- Carefully cut butternut squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash halves on a large baking sheet lined with foil flesh side up. Dot with half the butter. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast 50 to 60 minutes in a preheated 400-degree F oven until they are fork tender and the edges are brown and caramelized. Remove and set aside.
- While the butternut squash is in the oven, cook pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain and toss in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Set aside.
- Pat sage leaves dry. Heat oil in a small sauté pan until oil shimmers. Test frying temperature by dropping in a dry sage leaf. If it bubbles briskly it is ready. Drop the dry leaves into the hot oil and stir with slotted spoon. They will cook fast so don’t walk away. Fry leaves about 10-20 seconds and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- In a very large sauté pan, combine the remaining olive oil with the remainder of the butter. Add onions and sauté on medium-high heat until the onions are translucent and butter is slightly brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic cloves and sauté an additional minute until foamy. Remove from heat. Add finely chopped sage. Swirl.
- Spoon large spoonfuls of roasted butternut squash into pan. Toss to coat. Add pasta and toss to coat gently, keeping the size integrity of the squash intact.
Serve in individual bowls topped with Parmesan cheese and fried sage leaves.