How to Make a Chef's Secret Mac & Cheese Recipe in Less Than 30 Minutes by Gigi Gaggero
Yes, my family has a secret macaroni and cheese recipe, but I'm sharing it with you. Cook once, eat twice!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups cream or nut milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces white cheese (I like cream cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Here's how you make it:
- Cook macaroni to package directions. Drain and toss with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and flour together to make a roux. Mix and cook flour, but don’t brown. This will thicken your sauce.
- Combine cream with the stock. When roux is thick, pour to combine liquids in a steady steam while whisking out the lumps. Add more liquid as you stir to smooth out to a mac ‘n cheese-like consistency. The key is to work fast over low heat. The sauce will get tight and you’ll think you’ve made a mistake. Keep going! Keep consistently whisking at a steady pace. It’s OK to take the pan off the heat if you think it’s cooking too fast.
- Add cheese, salt and spices. Combine well. Adjust liquid if necessary. You will know it’s ready when it coats the back of a spoon and you can run your finger through it and it says clean.
- If you’re using the secret ingredients (red chili flakes and Parmesan) add them now.
- Add the cooked elbow macaroni. Stir to combine. Serve warm.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Elbow Macaroni $1 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Vegetable Broth $2 & Up
Cayenne Pepper $3 & Up
Red Chili Flakes $2 & Up
Nutmeg $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.