How to Make Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies in 30 Minutes! by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
6 years ago
Sweet and succulent, these salted caramel apple hand pies are sure to hit that sweet spot!
- 1 package pre-made pie crust (2 to a package)
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped to small dice
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (not packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 8 soft caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons butter
- egg wash (get my egg wash recipe)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Here’s how to make them:
- To make the cinnamon-sugar topping, combine sugar and cinnamon. Stir. Set aside.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. In a large plastic zipper bag, combine apples, sugars, spices and flour.
- Unroll pie dough and cut out eight large circles.
- Fill four of the circles with about 2 to 3 tablespoons of apple mix (do not overfill).
- Top each with a few tiny bits of butter and two soft chew caramels. Egg wash the edges.
- Place tops on and press with fork to seal. Egg wash again. Cut an X in the center to vent hot air. Dust with the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Bake 15 to 20 minutes.