Veggie Hack: How to Keep Your Vegetables Beautiful & Healthy! by Chef Gigi
Blanching and shocking allows partially cook veggies to cool quickly. So, they stop cooking and retain the crunch, nutrition and a vibrant color sets in! You’ll need:
- slotted spoon
- bowl of ice water
- paper towels
Here’s how to do it:
- Cut veggies to equal-sized pieces so they will cook at the same speed.
- Bring a large amount of water to boil. Or steam your veggies.
- Blanch each type of vegetable separately. Blanch the lightest to darkest about 2 to 4 minutes depending on the vegetable. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- At peak of color and desired doneness, remove and plunge into the ice bath. This will stop the cooking and seal in the color – and the nutrition. Be sure to keep the ice bath cold.
- Drain the vegetables on paper towels and store until ready to use.