This Delicious Cheesy Whole Wheat Bread Recipe Is High in Fiber by Jo Khalifa
This simple, versatile whole wheat bread recipe is a family favorite. It's a healthy alternative that's high in fiber and more complex than a plain white bread.
This easy bread recipe makes two loaves. Be careful with adding more garlic – garlic can kill the yeast.
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 1/2 hours to rise
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: approximately 2 hours
Servings: Makes 2 loaves
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic or 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded Gouda or other firm cheese (Swiss, mild cheddar, etc.)
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all ingredients except flour and cheese.
- Add the flour 1 cup at a time until dough is sticky but firm.
- Knead dough for about 10 minutes. (I use my KitchenAid stand mixer.) Let it rise 45 minutes.
- Add the cheese.
- Divide the batter into two and place each half into a bread pan. Make three slices across the top of both loaves and allow them to rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350-degree F oven (325 degrees F for glass pans) for 35 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Whole Wheat Flour $6 & Up
Extra Virgin Olive Oil $4 & Up
Sugar $3 & Up
Honey $4 & Up
Vital Wheat Gluten $11 & Up
Yeast $3 & Up
Onion Flakes $3 & Up
Garlic Powder $1 & Up
KitchenAid Mixers $200 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.