Easy Thumbprint Cookies Recipe: These Delicious Thumbprint Cookies Are a Fun Family Favorite by Kathy Widenhouse
Thumbprint cookies are a classic cookie recipe that's a true family favorite. That's because their simple goodness and sweetness appeals to just about everyone.
My thumbprint cookies are a simplified version of the traditional classic dessert. Kids love to roll the dough into balls and press a finger or thumb in the middle – hence the name – to fill with their favorite jam. That's why this easy cookie recipe is not only delicious, but so much fun to make, too!
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 15 to 30 minutes to chill dough
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Total Time: 20 to 22 minutes plus 15 to 30 minutes to chill dough
Servings: 12 to 24 cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 - 1 cup jam (strawberry, raspberry, apricot, etc.)
Here’s how to make them:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl continually, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg yolks and extract. Beat until smooth.
- Reduce speed to low. Gradually stir flour mixture into creamed mixture a bit at a time until well blended, scraping the bowl constantly. Dough will be thick. If dough is too sticky to work with, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes until chilled.
- Scoop dough into large, marble-sized balls about 1 inch in diameter. Roll balls in between the palms of your hands until smooth. Set the balls onto prepared baking pan, about 2 inches apart.
- Dip your thumb or your knuckle into a bit of water until it is damp, but not dripping wet. Press your thumb or knuckle in the center of each ball, leaving a small well. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon of jam into the well.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are set but have not begun to brown. Remove baking sheets from the oven. Cool cookies completely.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.