Choosing an Obstetrician: Questions Every Pregnant Woman Should Ask When Picking an OB-GYN by Renee Herren
What is more intimate than having a baby? Your OB-GYN, or women’s health specialist, is a star player in one of the most personal experiences of your life, so it’s important that you trust and are comfortable with him or her. Asking the right questions to prospective doctors can help you choose the right one for you. I recently asked a group of moms and moms-to-be what questions they asked their doctor. Here’s their list!
- Do you accept my insurance?
- How long have you been in practice?
- Will I be able to see you at every appointment or will I rotate between providers?
- What are the chances of you actually delivering my baby?
- How much time do you allot for each visit?
- What hospitals are you affiliated with? Where would I deliver?
- What are the after-hours policies? Are you available by phone or is there a nurse who can provide advice and answers?
- What prenatal tests do you recommend?
- How do you accommodate patients’ birth plan preferences?
- What are your views about pain medication during labor? About natural childbirth?
- How much choice do you feel I should have in the decision-making process?
- What are your thoughts about pain relief during labor?
- How do you manage the third stage of labor (the birth of the placenta)?
- What are your thoughts on doulas or other labor supports?
- What is your Cesarean section rate? Assisted delivery rate?
- What are your views on episiotomy?
- What procedures do you perform immediately on the newborn? What can wait? Will you wait if I request it?
Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Did you feel comfortable with the doctor’s style of communication and bedside manner?
- Did the doctor listen to your concerns and answer all your questions?
- Did you feel rushed during the interview?
- Did the doctor’s views on pregnancy, childbirth and medical care align with your own?
- Was the office clean?
- Were the nurses and office staff friendly and helpful?
What questions did you ask your provider or wish that you had? Share below!
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.