How to Stock Your Pantry & Freezer During the Coronavirus Pandemic by 30Seconds Food
Most of us are stuck at home right now because of the coronavirus pandemic. While we can go out for necessities, limiting our trips to places like the grocery store is advised, which means it's time to stock up. But with what?
"Though it might look a little different than normal, it's possible to eat healthfully when stuck at home," Alyssa Pike, a registered dietitian and manager of nutrition communications at the International Food Information Council, told CNN. "Choosing shelf-stable foods like canned goods, pastas, rice and legumes and utilizing your freezer – [where] you can store breads, meats, vegetables, fruits and more – are great ways to ensure you have a nice variety when your trips to the grocery store are limited."
Here are some of the best foods to stock your pantry with:
- Beans and legumes: chickpeas, lentils, black beans, navy beans
- Canned fish: tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardines
- Nut butters: peanut butter, Sunbutter, cashew butter, almond butter
- Pasta: whole-wheat pasta, veggie pasta, gluten-free pasta
- Grains: quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, farro, ancient grains
- Oats: steel-cut oats, rolled oats
- Cereals: high-fiber cereal, high-protein cereal, granola
- Canned fruits: applesauce, pineapple chunks, mixed fruit
- Canned vegetables: corn, peas, green beans
- Tomatoes: tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes
- Dried fruit: raisins, dried mango, dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried figs
- Popcorn: no-butter popcorn, pre-popped popcorn
- Nuts: almonds, cashews, pistachios, peanuts, pecans, walnuts
- Seeds: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Chocolate: dark chocolate
Here are some of the best foods to stock your freezer with:
- Bread: french bread, biscuits, bread dough
- Seafood: shrimp, fish
- Meat and poultry: chicken, turkey breasts, lean ground beef, ground turkey, pork loin
- Fruits: strawberries, fruit smoothie mixes, blueberries, peaches
- Vegetables: spinach, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, green beans
- Meatless options: veggie burgers, soy meat
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.