Self-Confidence: How to Empower Yourself & Accomplish Your Goals With Positive Self-Talk! by Mindy Hudon, M.S., CCC-SLP
It’s not easy to believe in yourself, especially when you lack self-confidence. Negative thoughts can invade your thinking. The constant negative chatter can tell you that you shouldn’t try because you will just fail. These negative thoughts can pop into your head uninvited and lead to a constant cycle of misery. To defeat these negative thoughts, use positive self-talk.
Positive self-talk is talking to yourself in a positive manner. If we change the way we think, then we can change the behaviors we use to accomplish our goals. For every, “I can’t do this,” try to find the strength to use positive self-talk and say, “Oh, yes I can and don’t tell me that I can’t.” Here are some steps to improve your positive self-talk:
- Turn around the, “I can’t” phrase and say, “I can.”
- Say daily positive affirmation statements about achieving your goal. “I can write this book” or “I can finish this triathlon.”
- Visualize yourself at the end of the race or holding that published book.
- Avoid exposing yourself to negative external influences or toxic people.
- Place yourself around positive, happy influences.
- Create a goal. Stick to your plan.
And remember, “Oh, yes you can!” Learn more about positive self-talk.