Got Over-Scheduled Kids? Make Room for This One Thing! by Kelli Porcaro
Seems like it's not uncommon to hear about 20-somethings struggling with adulting. And it's no wonder based on the latest parenting trends that are compared to helicopters (hovering), lawn mowers (clearing a path) and checklists (specific instructions). So how can parents help? Well, you can start by giving them chores! Yep, you read that right! Chores help kids learn to “adult” and:
- teach responsibility and how to take care of things
- teach life skills such as grocery shopping, cleaning and cooking
- to prioritize, making time for unpleasant, but necessary tasks
- provide opportunities to chip in and help, and be part of a family unit
- prepare for their early years of adulting
It's never too early to start. Of course, keep it age appropriate and make it fun!